Showing 31–40 of 2,979 items.
- Frank Sinatra- Classic Duets
- Fred was born Frederick Austerlitz in Omaha, Nebraska on 10th May 1899. His sister Adele was the older of the two (born 18th September 1896). Both displayed a notable talent for performing, and in 1906, after training in New York, they made their debut in Keyport.
- The Astaires came to London to repeat their Broadway success in 'For Goodness Sake' renamed 'Stop Flirting' for British audiences. A year later, their first Gershwin musical 'Lady Be Good' enjoyed huge success as did the follow up 'Funny Face'.
- In 1930 Fred Astaire's path first crossed that of Ginger Rogers. When the producers were having difficulty with Ginger's number 'Embraceable You' in the show 'Girl Crazy' they called on Fred to stage it.
- Fred Astaire was in London when the film 'Flying Down To Rio' opened in America. Despite their lowly billing, it was the team of Astaire and Rogers that had the critics reaching for their superlatives and the picturegoers buying tickets.
- Fred Astaire's film musicals are amongst the finest films of all. Their songs are amongst the best ever written. No-one has yet sung them with the style and elegance of their first interpreter - Fred Astaire.